Hearty Beef Barley Soup
- 1 lb. beef sirloin, cut into 1/4" cubes
- Black pepper
- 1 tbs. MOV Baklouti Olive Oil or the MOV Extra Virgin Olive Oil of your choice
- 2 cans beef broth + 1 cup
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup NHHS Vegetable Flakes
- 1 cup mushroom, diced
- Kosher salt
- 1 med. onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 Tbsp. MOV Red Wine Vinegar
- 1/3 cup medium pearled barley
- 1 cup peas (frozen or canned)
Season beef with salt & pepper.
Heat oil over medium-high heat in a large pot. When oil is simmering, brown beef on all sides. When nicely carmelized, transfer meat to a plate and set aside.
Reduce heat to medium & add in onion & mushrooms. Saute, stirring occasionally until tender, about 4-5 minutes.
Add garlic and continue cooking for 2 minutes longer.
Pour in beef broth, red wine vinegar, water, barley, vegetable flakes, 1 tsp salt & 1 tsp pepper.
At this point, return the beef to the pot. Cover & simmer on low for 45 minutes.
Add peas towards the end & cook for 5 minutes more to heat through.
Ladle into bowls & serve with a good bread.